Because the supporting services are not ready yet ?
The LAN Console can happen prior to the database being ready and therefore
journalling would not be "active"; I suppose it could be queued.
Just to clarofy, when you say LAN Console signon are you talking about the
SST/Console takeover function or the actual password user id entry at the
signon display.