You left off one category - "What is 7.3?"

Roger Harman
COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Die 7.1 Die!!!

First rule of thumb is always check with your vendor.  They run into a few
categories:
- Yep, works fine, tested and certified.  And with new additional
features!
- Yep, works fine, tested and certified.
- We're running it here but offer no certification
- We've had a few customers do it and it works for them.
- Mostly works with just a few minor inconveniences.
- You'll have to upgrade to this one version before the OS upgrade.
- Hey, let us know what you run into buddy.
- We plan on supporting 7.3 at some future date.
- We plan on supporting 7.3 when they drop support for 7.2
- We're quite content with 7.1 and have no plans to change and we're
raising our maintenance fee 3%.

There are some things.  For example, Java 6 isn't supported on 7.3 and
that affects some products.  Then again, support for Java 6 dies late
December 2017 for both 7.1 and 7.2 (see EOS 7.1 announcement at the
beginning of this thread.  The Java thing is in there also.)

I was on 7.3 quite early on.  So, I've already forgotten most of the "this
doesn't work" problems.  This is one problem when one wait and sees too
darn long - people forget.  I know we had to upgrade Domino but that was
solely because of the Java 6 issue.  And Domino was slow in coming out
with a 7.3 compatible version.  We actually moved Domino to a different
lpar because of it.  No one holds me up.  No one.