Have read through a number of posts from around 2010-2012.
IBM has a doc on this that describes both the DDS method (assuming your
printer(and not using HPT) or IPDS firmware handles it, or the USPS
downloads using raster fonts.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1013902

I have the downloads from USPS and have reviewed pdfs - two downloads from
2008 - one for OS400 to encode, and one for AFP for the font. Have never
worked with raster fonts so still wrapping my brain around it.
https://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/download.cfm

We are late to this change - our postal rep kept saying we didn't have to
do this because it was not packages, but they were wrong & now have to do
it, and do it very soon...

My questions are about whether others did the IBM DDS method (not sure
since appears the IPDS card (SCS/TNe) does not support it, but there is a
separate Lexmark Barcode card avail but their ^%&* web docs are very
unclear as to what works with what)...

or did you use the USPS download raster fonts - and what was that like? -
and was it as laid out in the pdf docs?

Not using any forms or barcode software package, this is our only form and
it's been running fine for 15 years.. all the spools for a self mailer
certified mail form are DDS *afpds duplex spools, and since a 2 sided
tri-fold there is rotation in parts of the form - and when we originally
did this could not get a barcode to rotate..,

The current printers are Lexmark T654's with IPDS cards so this runs with
PSF configuration - very stable.

Jim