Because most people can dig using a simple SELECT statement vs having to
write a whole procedure using SPL.

Now, if you're going to put the execution of this on your job scheduler to
run on a daily basis then it's no big deal to whip up a SPL program like
you've done. But if you're going to run a one shot deal why write a
program?

Like, querying SYSPARTITIONSTAT and using QCMDEXC to RGZPFM any partition
(aka member) having a large amount of space tied up in deleted rows.

Small technical argument on your sample below...
It uses || instead of concat. This will not always work in a
multilanguage shop. The vertical bar changes based on character set. I
would never use the dual vertical bar, especially in something stored like
SPL. One may be tempted in a quick and dirty one shot but that SPL is
something to draw the line against.

I do wish SQL supported the addition of strings, like RPG does instead of
having to use concat or the dual vertical bars.