Rob,

Do you really mean XLS files (i.e. a BIFF document inside an OLE2 Compound Document format... i,e, old-school Excel?)

If so, I've certainly not heard of this. The BIFF format does know, internally, what type of cell it is, and shouldn't think it's a formula unless it is a formula type cell. So there's no reason that the utility needs to have this problem...

The same goes for XLSX format (which has been the default format in Excel for well over a decade now... weird that we're still discussing XLS).

If you mean that it's really a CSV file that someone renamed to XLS to trick Windows into opening it with Excel... that's different, and is one of the caveats of the CSV approach Since it is just text, Excel has to figure out the data type from it's contents.

Either way, you might consider a different utility? There's no reason why you should have to code this yourself for it to work right!

-SK