With self-signed certs the onus is on the client to APPROVE the cert. If you know where the certificate came from and can verify it when you approve it then it's as good as any CA signed cert. DNS spoofing is moot since the spoofed server doesn't have the matching key. CA tree checking is just a different way of finding someone who can vouch for the certificate.