You make it sound like that was a long time ago 😊

"Weell kids. Once upon a time I went legacy and now I'm back on i for the 5250 of it."

Just because some consider WinForms app passe doesn't mean they aren't still awesome and used a lot today.

Microsoft Visual studio does WinForms and a whole lot more better than most development stacks. (My opinion of course based on daily doses of it since 1993.)

Anything more than 6 months old is considered legacy in today's world.

And now we've reduced ourselves to writing business logic in Javascript. We're moving backwards on some things.

JavaScript has its place on the front end because nothing better has come along yet, but not the back end.

Node is cool/hot and new (and I have used it), however I wouldn't bank my business applications on Node and Javascript only.

In fact there are all kinds of plumbing components to hook up a node back end to native code including .Net, Java and command line calls to overcome Javascript weaknesses.

I use all of these technologies to some extent, but always come back to VS for productivity and moving the rock.

Pick your poison, but do something new every day to stay relevant.

You only become legacy if you're not learning AND doing !!

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 4
date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 16:06:34 +0000
from: Justin Taylor <JUSTIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Visual Studio 2017 Released

Back in the days of Windows Forms apps, I considered them a viable alternative for 5250 UI apps. They were stupid simple to create and could easily be connected to RPG backend programs.

Fast forward to today, I question what Visual Studio/.NET brings to the midrange community. This coming from someone conscripted into .NET development over a decade ago.