From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:00 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Email direct from IBM i without relay (was: New lower cost IBMi announced)

I don't understand.

The subject of how email works, and especially the jargon can be confusing.
I'll delineate a few basics and let others fill in with more detail. Say
you want to send an email to:

john@xxxxxxxxxxx

Setting all formatting aside (for the moment, in order to focus on
communication), a program or services needs to use a TCP socket to connect
to the SMTP server on port 25 at example.com, send the message, then
disconnect. IBM i has an SMTP client that can do that for you.

It appears to me that the vendors in this space are recommending
alternatives, which include "relaying" mail to intermediate servers. Relay
servers typically require authentication, and may require encryption. Brad
apparently offers an interface that handles that.

That still begs the question, why use a relay service at all? IBM i can
send email directly.