Yet there are always gaps in that. The old release is dropped from
support before the new one comes out (6-12 months usually).

And, here is the important part, x-2 is usually dropped from support about
a year after release of the latest version.
6.1 was dropped 14 months after 7.2 came out.
V5R4 was crazy stupid (but that ANZOBJCVN was a special case) it was
dropped about 3 years after 7.1 came out but before 7.2 came out. Again,
only 2 versions supported for awhile (6.1 & 7.1).
V5R3 was dropped 13 months after 6.1 came out.
V5R2 was dropped 14 months after V5R4 came out.
V5R1 was dropped 13 months after V5R3 came out.
Always gaps in that "typically supports three major releases." Key word
is "typically".

I really think this was the clue Ms. Butterill was alluding to in her
statement:
<snip>
according to Butterill. “If you look at our IBM i history, we typically do
not have three releases that are available in marketing and support at the
same time,” she says. “We currently have three. Doesn’t that tell you
something?”
</snip>
from:
https://www.itjungle.com/2017/02/01/lack-ciphers-ibm-7-1-raises-concern/

Since IBM promises a years notice of EOS they could announce EOS for 7.1
tomorrow and it still would be longer than average. Let's say EOS was
3/30/2018. That would be almost 2 years after 7.3 came out. And you can
bet the farm (based solely on the following chart!) that it will be before
availability of rNext. That would mean that rNext won't be out until Fall
Common 2018 and maybe not until right before Spring Common 2019.

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/suptschedule.html