That's true Pete, same with programming there's tons of new functionality that people still reinvent the wheel for when all it takes in most cases is an OS upgrade or loading a PTF in some cases.

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello - ML
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 6:58 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx) <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Two good articles to read

I saw two good articles this morning in IT jungle, by long time Midrange-L'ers.

Larry Bolhuis on customers being raked over the coals on vendor charges for software migration (going to new hardware): https://www.itjungle.com/2017/02/01/see-something-say-something/

Rob Berendt on Lack of Ciphers on the old IBM i 7.1 operating system:
https://www.itjungle.com/2017/02/01/lack-ciphers-ibm-7-1-raises-concern/

Good points in both articles, and I think IBM i 7.1 is ready to be retired. Why hasn't IBM come out with an End of regular Support for 7.1? This is a 6 year old operating system. IBM should have come out with this last fall, and provided 18 months then. If they give the normal 18 months, and made the announcement today then it will still be supported in the late summer of 2018. Come on, we need to get people to the latest release (7.2 or 7.3), but off of 7.1 now (certainly off of V5R4 and 6.1 as well). You might not believe this, but we are still getting clients contacting us to upgrade them from V5R4. We had 2 just in the last 7 days !!!

How do you combat the saying when people say "That AS/400 is old", well when you are on V5R4, 6.1, or 7.1 those releases of IBM i are old. Move up and see all the new stuff that IBM Rochester has been putting into the new releases.

Great articles to both Rob and Larry.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions