<Rob>
I had to read this a few times but, maybe, this is based on obsolete
information?
With newer versions of the OS they support three part naming. For example
select ... from SQLSERVER.myschema.mytable ...
update mydb2server.myschema.mytable ...
</Rob>

to use three part naming the remote database has to be registered in the Remote databse directory (WRKRDBDIRE). To add a remote database to the RDB, it must understand DRDA amd only DB2 is talking DRDA. The one and only alternative is, to register an ARDPGM (Oracle had had such an animal for its database, but it's not running anymore on newer OS/400 releases). ArdGate is an universal Bridge from the ARDPGM interface to all JDBC capable databases (there is one other commercial product for this too).
Second prerequisite for three part naming is to register the connect with ADDSVRAUTE (this would be possible for ArdGate too).

And now the but for all the three part naming:
it is very limited!!!
you can do:
- a select, insert or update to a remote database (using this connect only)
- redirect a select from a remote database to a local file (same as STRSQL to an outfile or a QMQRY with output to a file)
you can't do:
- bringing a local select to a remote outfile
- using more than one connection in the same SQL statement besides the redirect

D*B