If there's a Redbook, there is also a regular globalization manual - look it up in Knowledge Center using the word "globalization".

There are at least 2 different areas to work in - translation and conversion - the latter is often handled best by externalizing literals, putting them into message descriptions or files that are tagged with the CCSID. Then the same program under a different language will find the right CCSID to use and convert to it.

HTH
Vern