See below

On 1/3/2017 1:22 PM, Brian Jongekryg wrote:
Since the interface is active but the route bound to that interface isn't, dead gateway detection must be marking the route as unavailable. (There should be some messages in the QTCP and QSYSOPR message log.) That means that the system is not receiving ARP responses from the router. You could verify this by running:
ARPING INTNETADR('192.168.10.1') LIND(ETHLINE)
ran what you asked got:

ARPING INTNETADR('192.168.10.1') LIND(ETHLINE)
Sending ARP request to 192.168.10.1 using line ETHLINE.
No response from 192.168.10.1 within 1 seconds.
No response from 192.168.10.1 within 1 seconds.
No response from 192.168.10.1 within 1 seconds.
ARP request statistics: 0 of 3 successful (0 %).

When you plug the PC into the SonicWALL, are you plugging it in using the same switch or SonicWALL port that the IBM i was connected to? ARP failure generally means the other system isn't up or the two systems aren't on the same L2 domain (Ethernet segment).
i had both systems plugged into the x2 port on the sonicwall. no switches or routers. If i plug the iseries into my hub (old ip 192.168.168.168) and i change back the tcp/ip settings, it works fine.