Might be doable...

Are you wanting to process payments from an RPG application (5250? Web?)
using braintree?

I suspect the Java serverside will run on the i, but you still need the
client side.

They have a Javascript client; but that means a web application.

If you're wanting to do this in 5250, it might be possible to use the
node.js support and/or HTTPAPI to a using the page running javascript
client on the IBM i. There might be some PCI implications doing it that
way however.

I'd say if you want Credit Cards with a 5250 app, you're best bet would be
to pay for a commercial utility.

If you've got a web app (even a modernized 5250 app, like with Profound or
RPG CGI) that supports Javascript, you could give braintree a shot.

Charles