I agree it's the vendor issue.
One big thing with OS upgrades are Java issues. IBM is trying their best
to kill older versions of Java. However, vendors are looking for that
magic version of Java which will run on all versions of IBM i from V5R4 on
up and that just ain't going to happen. Sure everyone says "just change
this file or environment variable and all your problems are solved". But
vendors do stupid shit, like hardcoding directories to get Java from, etc.
IBM Domino is pretty bad at this.
You can upgrade Java on 7.1 but sometimes you have to download newer
versions of Java from ESS and the newer versions are not on the
distribution media. Many people won't look past that.

It would be really sad if Oracle apps were stuck on older versions of Java
when Oracle owns Java.

From the 7.2 MTU:

IBM Developer Kit for Java (5770-JV1)
Documentation
For more information of J9 on i, see the IBM i Technology Updates website:
http://www.ibm.com/
developerworks/ibmi/techupdates/java.
JV1 options support on IBM i 7.2
The JV1 options for IBM Technology for Java(IT4J) 1.4.2 (option 13) and
5.0 (option 8 and 9) are no longer
supported on IBM i 7.2. The default JVM on i 7.2 is IBM Technology for
Java 7.1 32 bit (option 14).
Support for IBM Java SE 6.0/6.2.6 (5770JV1 Option 11 and 12) will be
discontinued on April 30th, 2018.
After this date, no additional fixes or PTFs will be produced for the
5770JV1 Option 11 and 12 LPPs.
Support for the 5770JV1 Option 11 and 12 LPPs will be provided on best
effort basis only.
Classic Java commands and API removed
The Classic Java commands ANZJVAPGM, ANZJVM, CHGJVAPGM, CRTJVAPGM, DMPJVM,
DSPJVAPGM, and the Classic
Java API QJVARJPI have been removed in IBM i 7.2.
Any programs that reference these commands might need to be updated.