You are still using anynet? (Face palm) :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 12/8/2016 1:49 PM, Chris Bipes wrote:
The problem I have seen out there is with Microsoft Shops, all the clients and servers joined to the domain automatically add themselves to the AD integrated DNS. The iSeries does not automatically register itself. These Network Admins do NOT know how to create a static A record for our iSeries. It's nice to be in a small shop. There are 4 iSeries Operators, 8 Programmers, and 4 of us that take care of the explosion of Microsoft products. Myself does both Windows domain and iSeries, Cisco Routers, switches and firewalls.

No more Host entries excepts for APPC/APPN (Host. .APPN.SNA.IBM.COM) and some private partner URL's that do not resolve via DNS and only our iSeries can connect to because I hate IP addresses in programs.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2016 10:40 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "3 out of 4 IBM i machines I work on do not have DNS servers specified" Why not?

Ugh.

This is in my experience because the network guys and the i guys do not
speak. The network guys do not speak 'i' and the i guys do not speak
'network'. Then to make it worse they don't trust each other and
sometimes actively dislike each other. It is a sad reality in far too
many shops.

I have seen host tables on i with thousands of entries! Then someone
wants to change the network numbering scheme and panic ensues.

Now the good news is that when I sit down with both sides, play
mediator, and have a technical discussion things improve!! In that
discussion we do not say 'Windows' or 'Linux' or 'i' but instead
references DNS and name resolution and server and client and service
then things get clear. I ask which DNS do you use and can you add
entries for devices and services on the network. Normally the network
guys know what that is and can add entries easily. I ask if it's
redundant and reliable. Yes. Then we go over the reasons why it's good
to use this and the benefits and of course the potential issues.

In the end the bottom line is working as a team you become more
efficient and more productive. Reliability is enhanced. Predictability
is improved. These are all good things. Building fiefdoms is NOT.

Oh and by the way same thing for goofy routing entries I see on systems.
Let you routers do the routing, It's what they do best!!!!