From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:11 PM
To: Midrange-L Midrange-l
Subject: Re: Records written not seen by called program

Just to add a point of clarification.

FEOD(N) and FEOD do different things.

The (N) extender causes the buffer to be released back to the OS and is a very fast function. Without the extender an FEOD will cause the buffer to be physically written back to disk and is much slower.

I _think_ (and hopefully Barbara can clarify) that FRCRATIO(1) has the same impact as using FEOD with no extender except that it will impact to each and every operation. The benefit of using FEOD is that you can get the performance benefit of allowing blocking to take place but still ensure that records are written away before they are needed by another program. FEOD(N) is an even more efficient way to achieve that at the slight risk that if the system dies the data may not end up back on disk. Not sure where Block(*No) would fit into the picture. I suspect that it is at the same level as FEOD(N) but again with the restriction that it applies on each and every operation.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com

Partner400 - Your partner in iSeries education
www.partner400.com
If you are looking for the very best in IBM i* Education, Consulting and Mentoring services you have come to the right place! We are dedicated to helping our ...

www.SystemiDeveloper.com

System i Developer - Home Page
www.systemideveloper.com
Welcome. Welcome to System i Developer, a consortium of top experts and educators on IBM i technology. If you develop or manage RPG/DB2 applications, we can help you ...