Someone had mentioned SQL2JXL - we have used that for many jobs here - it can write only to XLS, as it uses a Java class that is not being updated to put out XLSX.

Giuseppe Costagliola created this, as well as SQL2POI (I think is the name).

This command takes a SELECT statement and calls a single Java class that uses another Java thing that is like POI - so RPG or CL makes only 1 call to Java.

It can use an existing XLS file as a template, to provide a heading and column headings. Example that Giuseppe gives shoe even more complex results, and I've not learned how to do that - haven't tried, actually.

But for a quick data dump with some formatting capability, his commands can be fine. The POI version might be modifiable - he provides the source, as I recall.

We use another commercial product at times - SEQUEL - it can produce either XLS or XLSX - it is a pretty basic data dump if you just give it a SELECT and run its EXECUTE command. You can get better results if you create one of their VIEWs.

Lots of options, including roll your own - but I do that with a method using CGIDEV2, which is better suited to a specific kind of report, not a generic data dump.

HTH
Vern