From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11/08/2016 02:48 PM
Subject: Re: Multiple Telnet server Instances on on IBMi partition

Can't you just have multiple DNS entries pointing to the same IP address?

Or, we have multiple IP addresses, especially on our Domino lpars.
Let's say we have
IBMi 10.10.1.11
DomMailSvr 10.10.1.12
DomAppSvr 10.10.1.13
Since telnet does no "bind specific" I can do a TELNET command from
another lpar (or the same lpar for that matter) and connect to any one of
those.

We also have multiple DNS names for different addresses. For example I
may have three Domino based SMTP servers: INTERNOTES1, INTERNOTES2,
INTERNOTES3. And I may have another DNS name called SMTPServer. I may
have the address for SMTPServer set to the same IP address as INTERNOTES1.

When I have an outage for INTERNOTES1 I will update the DNS and point
SMTPServer to the IP address for INTERNOTES2. All devices which do
relaying, such as document scanners, use SMTPServer. I can't just flop
around the IP addresses for INTERNOTES1, 2, 3 or it can cause issues with
Domino replication, etc. Hence the SMTPServer entry.