Paul,

Intriguing question but the answer has to do with what the recovery plan is.
You touched on it by suggesting you would never use the *ALLUSR libraries
from that save anyway so your recovery plan would include an *ALLUSR at
other points in the save routines.

Question: Do you use omit objects anywhere in the saves? (Either IFS or in
the QSYS file systems?) If so then you'll need the restricted state save as
a starting point. If not, then the question becomes one of recovery point.

In short, write the recovery plan with recovery point objectives and
recovery time objectives and the answer will be presented to you in that
plan.

I do have many customers that only use the restricted state save to get the
IBM delivered directories and libraries so the control group looks kind of
like:

Security
Configuration
SAVSYS
*IBM

I add in some objects that application would need that might not get
routinely backed up as well, but that's highly dependent on the application
suite. Other save operations get all the "user data".

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects