On 28-Sep-2016 12:17 -0500, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Nice use of IBM's recommended technique for getting all messages in
the job log, no matter where they come from - sometimes things show
up from things no longer in the stack.

If the save\restore feature had been [able to be] properly designed and coded for messaging [as was intended generally from OS features and applications], then that /trick/ would not be required; i.e. all of the messages would have been moved or sent to the requesting program message queue so a programmer could just use the *PRV PGMQ to get any prior diagnostics.

Anyhow, IIRC, that having to muck about through inactive PGMQs was at least one part of the reasoning for giving Output File (OUTFILE) support on the SAVLIB and SAVOBJ commands; i.e. to avoid the programmer having to extract and parse messages. Instead they should be able to just read\query the output file for what objects, for which an error was given. By the time that support came, I was no longer doing that sort of work, so I probably never had created any sources using those SAVxxx OutFiles or that purpose, but I presume that should be possible as a replacement for the joblog messages.? And then there was the additional support for the DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*OUTFILE), so that also gives what might be an even nicer interface to get those messages; at least no need to monitor\handle the many tens [if not hundreds] of CPF2410.