From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:25 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Monitoring for MSGW

Paul,

I have done something similar, except I have it check every 15 minutes during working hours and hourly during off hours.
In my case I have it email during working hours and send a text to my phone during off hours (hence the hourly vs quarter hour checks).
At the end of the program, it checks the current time, adds the 15 or 60 minutes, then resubmits itself to the jobq for the specified time. Since a lot of our jobqs are single threaded, it has its own jobq lest it not be able to run because a previous job in the q has a MSGW.
Communication is an email to one of two distribution lists (depending on the time of day).

Just thinking do your requirements have to be "at the moment" or would a minimal delay (15 minutes might be too much for your environment) be acceptable. Just thinking that the CPU utilization on that would seem to be noteworthy after a while of continuous monitoring.

I don't know if there is a way to have the MSGW status automatically show up in a dataq, but that might be worth a look, then you would only need to monitor the dtaq.

Regards,

Jim Hawkins
Programmer Analyst
Interkal LLC
Kalamazoo, MI

Hi,

I've been tasked with finding a way to notify relevant people the
moment when *any* job goes into the MSGW status. The notification has
to tell those people which job is in the MSGW status, when it entered
that status and what the MSGID is (I also don't want to spam them with
notifications!).
I am not interested in notifying anyone about jobs in the QSPL
subsystem, but apart from that I want notification for any batch or
interactive job
on
the local machine requiring a user's response to a message.

I've put together a small routine that loops forever using the QUSLJOB
API which works (thanks to Eric Pell), but I'd prefer a different
approach because continuously reading the job list over and over just
seems like an awkward way to do what I want. Is there a way to have a
program called (or dtaq/file added to) when any job in the system goes into the MSGW status?
Trigger, or exit point, etc?

Any tips, ideas, web searches I may have missed?

-Paul.