When I have a failure, below is what I get for an error.
I can't be sure, but I think the SSH handshaking takes longer than the timeout value.

2016-08-23,17:00:30
spawn sftp xxx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Connection closed

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vernon Hamberg
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 7:43 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: expect - sometimes it runs sometimes it doesn't....

Hi Scott

I agree the environment variable is better - still, I though stderr was redirected by using 2>

Vern

On 9/7/2016 6:39 PM, Scott Klement wrote:
Larry,

I would not recommend using a redirect like > because that only
redirects "standard output" (stdout) which is where normal output
messages are written -- it does not log "standard error" (stderr)
which is where error messages are written.

Assuming you are running this from a CL program, I would use the
QIBM_QSH_CMD_OUTPUT variable to specify a file that output is written to.

Unfortunately a description like "does absolutely nothing" doesn't
give us much to go by.

-SK