David:

Does this only occur with certain objects your customer is attempting to move? What object type(s)? Any IASPs involved?

Is this a CL program that invokes MOVOBJ? Or are you invoking MOVOBJ via QCMDEXC from some other HLL?

If a CL program, perhaps you can create a "debug" version of that program that issues a DMPCLPGM command just prior to invoking the MOVOBJ, so you can see what all of the variables look like? (Have the customer e-mail you the resulting spool file...)

I also find it helpful to "echo" such commands to the job log ... e.g. concatenate the string with the command and issue a SNDPGMMSG to send that to the job log, or use an equivalent API.

HTH,

Mark S.Waterbury

> On 8/10/2016 2:15 PM, David Gibbs wrote:
Folks:

I've got a program on a customers system that's doing a MOVOBJ ... and, sometimes, it's failing with a MCH3602 error.

IBM is saying that it's our program that's at fault ... but I can't see how. We're just invoking MOVOBJ with parameters.

----------
MCH3602 Escape 40 08/02/16 07:18:24.278876 #cfochkr 0001C8 QSYGRHLR QSYS 0004
Message . . . . : Pointer type not valid for requested operation.
Cause . . . . . : A pointer type was not valid for the requested operation.
Recovery . . . : Correct the pointer use.
CPF9999 Diagnostic 40 08/02/16 07:18:24.289705 QMHUNMSG *N QLIMVOBJ QSYS 03BA
Message . . . . : Function check. MCH3602 unmonitored by QSYGRHLR at
statement *N, instruction X'0004'.

The phrase "Pointer type" is significant, I'm sure.

This is running on 7.3.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

david