On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matt keeps refusing to stop looking at LUW in order to find support for SQL
on IBM i - then calls anything that is not the same a deficiency.

I don't think this is a fair characterization. Proper timezone support
is a legitimate concern, in the same way that proper Unicode support
is. Yes, you can work around them (obviously, people *have* worked
around them, before such support existed), but that doesn't mean the
status quo is desirable or even acceptable.

I agree that a single-issue RFE is probably the most appropriate
response. There is nothing (in this thread!) to say that Matt was
against doing this, nor that he was pushing for complete parity with
LUW.

http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg052406-story02.html

There is a sample there of an SQL function that can use an API the system
has had for at least 10 years.

An RFE to ask for might be to add to the system services

This just makes the workaround a bit less painful. It's not a real
substitute for proper timezone support. I am of the mind that a
partial solution is better than no solution, but ultimately, lack of
timezone *is* a real deficiency.

John Y.