On 03-Aug-2016 08:07 -0500, Alberto Ferrari wrote:
It turned out the error in the spooled log was CPF3888. So the V5R4
used here could not restore SAVF containing *PGM and *SRVPGM objects
coming from subsequent versions of OS/400, even if the TGTRLS was set
correctly. We found the following docs which talk about applying a
missing PTF and the issue has been solved.
Here is the docs used:

Given how notoriously short-lived IBM links are generally, and esp. given a likely even-shorter remaining life of those links to down-level\out-of-support release APAR docs, I will include some abstract information with those links, so that their existence in the archives might retain at least some value for having been posted; of course by now, sad that anyone should even still require this info.

[http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/c79815e083182fec862564c00079d117/58ef6ce395e2d2688625720c003cb6a4?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,cpf3888]

"APAR#: MA34210
Component: 9400DG300 - VERTICAL MICROCODE
Release(s): R420, R430, R440, R450, R510, R520, R530, R535, 5.4, 5.4.5

Abstract
LIC-MSGCPF3888 *PGM, *SRVPGM and *MODULE restore from future

Error Description
Restore of *PGM, *SRVPGM and *MODULE objects created on a future release fails with CPF3888, and possibly the following VLOGs:
VL1500060A Module Object Manager
VL16000501 Binder
VL16000609 Binder
VL16000612 Binder
VL16000D01 Binder

Problem Summary
Restore of *PGM, *SRVPGM and *MODULE objects created on a future release fails with MSGCPF3888. The restore failure may also cause one or more of the following VLIC logs, with the given major and minor codes, to be written:
1500 060A Module Object Manager
1600 0501 Binder
1600 0609 Binder
1600 0612 Binder
1600 0D01 Binder

Problem Conclusion
Licensed Internal Code has been updated to correctly restore *PGM, *SRVPGM and *MODULE objects that have been created on a future release.

[…]
PTFs Available
R530 MF41354 PTF Cover Letter 8085 C8085530
R535 MF41734 PTF Cover Letter 8267 C8267535
R540 MF40520 PTF Cover Letter 8057 C8057540
R545 MF42655 PTF Cover Letter 8057 C8057545
…"

[http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/c79815e083182fec862564c00079d117/06ac3e0a4ab66b90862571a3003c7161?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,cpf3888]

"APAR#: MA33919
Component: 9400DG300 - VERTICAL MICROCODE
Release(s): R530, R535, 5.4

Abstract
OSP-MSGCPF3888 OPM PROGRAM RESTORE
END OF ABSTRACT

Error Description
Original Program Model (OPM) programs saved on releases after R540 fail to restore on R540 and earlier, even when the programs are created and saved for a compatible target release.
Error messages:
MSGCPF3888 "&2 &1 not restored to &3."
VLOGs:
VL16000612 Binder
VL16000609 Binder
VL1500060A Module object manager
VL16000501 Binder

Problem Summary
Please see the ERROR DESCRIPTION section.

Problem Conclusion
The machine has been changed to allow programs saved from future releases to be restored successfully.
Apply this PTF, then restore the programs again.
…"

Oddly, despite the conclusion shown, no PTF details were included; given the others were shown with a cumulative level, that is the minimum cumulative that should be applied to expect probably the problem would not occur; I did not search on the latter APAR to find a\the copy with the PTFs specific to that APAR.