On 7/20/2016 12:44 PM, Fuchs, James M wrote:
But if I put in print statements to print the records, the record number, and number of fields prior to the first pattern match and set the Field separator (hard coded ) within the variable/constants definitions the script will print all of individual records in the file along with accurate record numbers and field counts.

Well then we're back to character encoding / pattern matching. In
particular, look at the ISA record. Column 4 should be the field
separator for the rest of the records. To wildly generalise, CCSID 1252
is Windows. 819 is *nix.

Also tried with just printing the first field (print $1) as well as a substring of the first 4 characters, that, for the most part worked correctly also

That's a good diagnostic. What is the separator character on the ISA
record? The names of the fields in the TA1 record are a bit generic,
but the GS record looks easy to understand. Pretending that the
vertical bar is the separator:

GS|fld2|PayerID|fld4|date YYYYMMDD|time HHMMSS|GroupCtl

Do you see something like this?
Is there a separator at the end of the line?
What characters are the field separators? (DSPF F10 to view in hex)
What characters are the line endings?