Let me help translate Chuck a little.

Type in DSPMSG and hit F4.
Now hit F10.
You see that "Assistance level (ASTLVL)"?
See the default is *PRV?
Change it to *BASIC and run it.
get out of your messages
just type in DSPMSG and hit enter. See that they stayed in *BASIC format?
Get out of your messages.
Now DSPMSG <F4> again and change your assistance level to *INTERMED.
get out of your messages.
just type in DSPMSG and hit enter. See that they stayed in *INTERMED
format?

This is kind of what he's suggesting although it be all completed via F11
and any use of a similar ASTLVL parameter be optional.

I kind of think the obnoxious default to scoping view was necessary at
first to get people used to the significance of the (then) new scoping by
activation group.