Our tape handling cycle will be going like this:

* On Monday morning the TS3100 magazine will be loaded full of 11 scratch tapes

* Overnight 1 or 2 tapes will get used

* Each morning the operators will remove the used tapes and send offsite for a week

* When the tapes come back the are shelved until they expire.

* The cycle then repeats on Monday morning.

I don't know if I should be using WRKTAPCTG or WRKMLMBRM when they are put back in the silo on Monday morning.
For example, after tape AD0420 has been inserted in the magazine (the rest were already there) Should I use WRKTAPCTG DEV(TAPMLB01) and then take an option 1 to change the tape from Inserted to Available status?

1=Add 2=Change 4=Remove 5=Display 6=Print ..

Cartridge Volume Media
Opt ID ID Type Status
AD0377 AD0377 Available
AD0389 AD0389 Available
AD0392 AD0392 Available
AD0402 AD0402 Mounted
AD0405 AD0405 Available
AD0420 *UNKNOWN Inserted
AD0425 AD0425 Available

Or should I use WRKMLMBRM TAPMLB01 and then take option 1 there?

1=Add MLB media 2=Work with media 5=Initialize
6=Change category 7=Eject 8=Mount 9=Demount

Opt Volume Type Category Status Media Class Status

AD0377 *SHARE400 Available ULTRIUM4 *EXP
AD0389 *SHARE400 Available ULTRIUM4 *EXP
AD0392 *SHARE400 Available ULTRIUM4 *EXP
AD0402 *NOSHARE Mounted ULTRIUM4 *EXP
AD0405 *SHARE400 Available ULTRIUM4 *EXP
AD0420 *INSERT Inserted ULTRIUM4 *EXP

Do both commands do the same thing as far as option 1? It seems that WRKTAPCTG option 1 causes the tape to be mounted (maybe to check the VOLSER?) while WRKMLMBRM does not.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I only have 5 days to learn how to use BRMS with a MLB. (A very quick implementation)

Scott Lindstrom
Reynolds Leveraged Services