I agree with you that I don't believe the user just blatantly ran the PWRDWNSYS command. The command itself has a secondary confirmation screen that they would have had to acknowledge as well (assuming that wasn't modified and removed in your environment). It really sounds like a process (such as PTF apply or a backup, even if it was a simple save of an object. I've seen some of the simplest backups bring a system down when a user isn't careful, especially on a development system) was submitted, especially with the fact that image catalogs were unloaded as part of the same process.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Getz
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:26 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Determine how pwrdwnsys was executed

Jim,

The fact that the PWRDWNSYS was initiated as *IMMED, is the concerning part. The default for this "Option" parameter is *CNTRLD. The command had to have gotten submitted somehow. Not sure if you have software to scan programs for the command (e.g. Hawkeye).

Is it possible this user ran a program that issued this command?

Is it possible that this user had previously disconnected from a session and then recovered from a previous session and that's why the job log doesn't show anything?

Have you reviewed any scheduled jobs to see if maybe this was something that was scheduled?

I guess I would still be asking the user what exactly they were doing at the time they signed on. If the answer is that they just signed on and then the system started powering down, that doesn't really sound logical.

Just my opinion of course. Hope you get to root cause.

Regards,
Paul