Bill,

<SoapBox mode="on">
The vendor is absolutely right, here. You can't run V5R4 on the last several generations of hardware.

When you let yourself get this far out of date, it makes it much harder to do stuff -- and that is what you are finding out right now.

You are on a release that is completely unsupported. You can't get new fixes, report problems, get hardware that runs it, migrate it to newer OSes (you can migrate to 7.1, but that is really old these days). If you had a major failure, what would you do? If big security flaw was found, what would you do? It's just not okay to let yourself get so far out of date.
</SoapBox>

If your box is capable of running IBM i 7.1, then I would upgrade it on that box and then migrate it. Otherwise, the other way to do it is to save your libraries and restore them to the newer box running a newer release. I hate that option because you lose so many settings, etc... but it might be your only option.