ALCOBJ will fail if you request an exclusive lock and it is locked with a
shared lock. Monitor for that message.

John McKee

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

ALCOBJ will not help my situation.
The issue is that I need to end jobs if there are locks.
ALCOBJ will not solve that.

The other main factor is that these DLTLIB(S) are multiple sequences
called from AJS, Advanced Job Scheduler.
Because I'm using AJS, a loop is not possible.
IBM support suggestted using the WRKWCH if a DLTLIB would fail because of
a lock.

I've added the TAATOOL/RTVJOBSTS with a loop within the WRKWCH.
All is working with desired result.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
John Yeung
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:34 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: ENDJOB JOB(&OLJNBR/&OLUSER/&OLJNAM) OPTION(*IMMED) taking
excessively long for JVM jobs.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Chuck,

This is for the utility that runs with AJS on our R&D LPAR when we wish
to DLTLIB of all the libraries for an application.
If someone forgets to signoff if some other job is running, the DLTLIB
fails.
I've created a WRKWCH against DLTLIB for CPF2113 and CPF3202.
Has been working fine except for the JVM jobs that take long to end.
Between lines 143 and 154 I'm going to add a loop with
TAATOOLS/RTVJOBSTS, checking the status of the job that I just ended.

Paul,

I'm quite confident Chuck fully grasps your situation. He is suggesting
that ALCOBJ is a simpler and more effective way to accomplish what you are
trying to do. ALCOBJ encompasses the work done by (and thus can replace)
both checking job status and DLYJOB. Not only that, ALCOBJ is closer to
what you REALLY want:

(1) It's not so much that you need some other job to end in order to
continue; it's that you need that other job to release its lock(s) on
something you are trying to delete. So it's more precise to check the
lock(s) (by trying to allocate what you're trying to delete) than to check
the job status.

(2) It's not so much that you want to wait some fixed number of seconds;
what you really want is to wait just long enough for the
lock(s) to go away, and not longer. Again, ALCOBJ lets you achieve that
more precise goal.

John Y.
questions.