Hmmm. Not sure how to answer the group related question.

This article was written by one of our techs who wanted to figure out how to use mapped UID/GID users for our WebDocs server which really only needed 1 user mapping via Apache.

Normally how I did it was to set up Windows shares with UID/GID of 0, however that means any IBM i user that can access the mapped IFS folder can access files on the NFS share. However you can limit the source IP to the IBM i box.

Not sure how tight you need security to be ?

Another comment. If you have access to my COMMON presentation from this year there are two commands including for sending and receiving files from/to Windows shares using the JCIFS java netbios library. Not related to IBM i IFS, but interestingly named :-)

I suppose accessing Windows shares via NFS could be an interesting educational topic. Hmmm.......

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

-----------------------------

message: 7
date: Mon, 23 May 2016 15:39:47 -0400
from: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Consuming (mounting) over a Windows NFS share from IBM i

I found this archive entry:

In there they talked about Windows 2008 server type stuff. Well, it's 5
years later and we're running Windows 2012. The main thing that comes to
mind is mapping the "Unix Attributes" shown in the docs to what is shown
in Attribute Editor in Windows 2012. Most of the stuff shows in the docs
we could map.

Unix Attribute UA Value Attribute Editor AE
Value
NIS Domain ??? couldn't find that.
UID blank uid <not set>
Login Shell /bin/sh loginShell <not set>
Home Directory /home/rob homeDirectory <not set>
Primary group name/GID blank primaryGroupID 513

Is it assumed here that one creates one special user id for Windows and
IBM i which accesses this share? Or, do I just ensure that I change
primaryGroupID to match IBM i and uid to match IBM i?
One thing which concerns me is that, out of the spot checking we did
primaryGroupID was set to 513 for everyone.