"SOURCE" type files contain program source and are formatted slightly
different. It's an easy concept to those of us who work on this machine
daily (especially programmers). But I came from a S/36 background and
someone tried to explain it to me at COMMON before I saw an IBM i (or a
S/38 for that matter) and I just couldn't get it. So don't feel bad.

Common source file names are: QCLSRC, QRPGSRC, QRPGLESRC, QCBLSRC,
QDDSSRC and so on. But the actual names are up to the beholder (and can
start a holy war).

A bulk of your files should be DATA.

See the difference between CRTSRCPF and CRTPF (and CRTLF) (and for that
matter SQL's CREATE TABLE, CREATE VIEW, CREATE INDEX).

Source files should be little to no impact on everyday performance.

There's some stuff in knowledge center in the 'getting started with
performance' genre. You might want to study that.
You missed a good week for this stuff at COMMON USA which just ended.
Someone can pipe up with when COMMON EUROPE is (I noticed that your email
indicates a country on the other side of the pond from me).
Anything by Dawn May is a good start to read.
I'm sure others may pipe in with suggestions.