On 19-May-2016 14:04 -0500, dlclark wrote:
On 19-May-2016 14:01 -0500, T. Adair wrote:
I've tried SNDPGMMSG but apparently I'm not holding my mouth right.
I have been unable to get it to write to the batch job's joblog.

SNDPGMMSG MSGID(CPF9898) MSGF(QCPFMSG) MSGDTA(&MSG) +
TOPGMQ(*EXT) MSGTYPE(*STATUS)

As I said, status messages are never written to the joblog. You would
have to make that an informational message to get it into the
joblog.

Clarification:

While true that Status messages sent to the External program message queue will not appear in the joblog, a Status message that is sent to another [i.e. not *EXT] program message queue will; according to the logging level, of course.

Note that the *STATUS message type is an /exception/ message; i.e. the Message Type (MSGTYPE) of *EXCP, as referenced on Receive Message (RCVMSG). Sent to a program message queue [other than *EXT], the message would be capable of being monitored by the Monitor Message (MONMSG) of CL; as are *NOTIFY messages, which are also type *EXCP.

FWiW: For a status message sent to *EXT in a batch job, IIRC, the Message Handler (MH) component essentially no-ops the request rather than forwarding the messaging request to the Work Station (WS) component; because there is no WorkStation, there is no status-message-line at which such a status message could be presented. Hmm, on further thought, MH may indeed forward the message, and instead WS would dismiss the request, except when the batch job has a DEVD of type DSP allocated; Huh. been too long since I programmed a job that controls another display device.