From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris
Bipes
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:44 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: HMC version to support Power 5, Power 7, and now Power 8

I think my HMC issue is I need to upgrade from V7R7.2.0.1 to V8 - 810 or
above to support the Power 8 system.

If I upgrade my HMC will I still be able to access the old Power 5 - 520
system.
Power 7 is at 01AL720 level 82 (V6R1M1)
Power 5 is at 01SF240 level 403 (V6R1M0)

Both are set for HMC update control.

I don't want the HMC to automatically update the FSP and reboot the
partitions. So my question is:

1. When I update the HMC will it update the FSP and cause a reboot to
the host thus bringing the partitions down?

2. Will the HMC still connect to the FSP on the older systems without
a Firmware upgrade on the FSP?

3. Does anyone have a link to the matric table showing the hardware,
firmware, and HMC versions supported?
Chris Bipes