From: "Jim Oberholtzer" <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/20/2016 05:14 AM
Subject: RE: BI / Reporting tools

Jamal,

BI and DR are entirely too different things, and really need to be thought
of separately. There are several vendors on this list (Agile Included)
that
can help you however some quick thoughts:

What Doug was explaining is if a DBA is thinking about the data (regardless
of the Database OEM) then the DBA can set up the structures needed to keep
the production data safe and efficient. Security is baked into the plan.

With respect to Disaster Recovery (does that include High Availability?)
that implies a copy of the system and what you do is entirely dependent on
the recovery point, and recovery time objectives. Is the copy on another
system ready to take over within a very short amount of time, or is the
copy
on tape, where you would have to recover bare metal to get back to
production. Both are valid, but very different in the implementation.

A replicated system if licensed properly could also act as the second
repository for the BI initiative, but that requires a fair amount of up
front consideration and planning. It does not necessarily mean
significantly more expensive, just that it requires a good deal of thought.

The considerations you need to make really are no different in an Intel
environment vs. an enterprise system environment like POWER Systems; just
the implementation is different.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects