Going to the cloud, man you better have your act together to figure out
what to buy, and how to buy it.

I've leased Windows Server on Amazon and it worked for me. If I ordered
too few machines, well, I spin up another. I can even search through
preconfigured machine instances and pick one that works. Licensing is
baked in. I have the same approach with my IBM i cloud provider. They go
through the pains of licensing for me. My IBM i cloud provider still needs
to go through IBM pains, which is added human cost, which is then conveyed
back to me (though at a much reduced cost).

Open source you say! Yep, that's not complicated at all with all the
dependencies and where to find things etc. Good luck.

Sometimes open source is simple, sometimes it isn't. The nice thing is I
have the option to do things myself.

It's far less complicated to fly a Boeing 777 from New York to Los Angeles
(assuming no problems in flight) than it is to put up a competently set up
system.

I don't get it. There's a whole cross section in this community that just
accepts complication. The feeling I get from you isn't one that states
"let's fix this" and instead it's "let's describe how difficult it is and
leave well enough alone".

Automation can address a lot of this.

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Jim Oberholtzer <