The only reason to use a read trigger is for compliance purposes.

That being the case, a journal is a better choice from an auditing
standpoint.

Sure you could write to a log file that is journalled, but why not just
write to the journal.

I suspect that such entries should be sent to the system audit journal; as
the system layers on some extra security/restrictions to that object. But
IBM's docuentation say "The auditing journal QSYS/QAUDJRN is intended
solely for security auditing. Objects should not be journaled to the audit
journal. Commitment control should not use the audit journal. User entries
should not be sent to this journal using the Send Journal Entry (SNDJRNE)
command or the Send Journal Entry (QJOSJRNE) API."

However, John Earl has an example where he's logging security related stuff
to the audit journal.
http://www.securemyi.com/nl/articles/johnearl1.html

I also found a reference that discusses some code of Wayne Evans using
SNDJRNE to the audit journal.

Volume of entries might be a concern, but the volume would be the same
regardless of which journal they go to. The record keeping requirements
probably fit better with the audit journal.

Charles