LOL, Vern. I believe there are relevant distinctions between IBM i and PASE
that more people, particularly developers should be aware of. The same
would be true if say Microsoft were to port Windows to run on Power 8
processors.

PASE and IBM i are joined at the hypervisor level in the SLIC, and below
that at the Power chip level. Otherwise they are quite separate. PASE runs
on top of the "syscall" interface, while IBM i runs on top of the
"technology independent machine interface". PASE does not receive the
benefits of single-level store, nor the assurance that your applications
will run on new hardware.

Below the SLIC, the hypervisor switches between two distinct processor
modes, one for running PASE workloads, and another for running IBM i
workloads. The "switching" is comparable to that which results from having
multiple partitions running simultaneously.

Up in the application layer, it takes a lot of work and overhead for PASE
applications to communicate with IBM i applications, and visa versa. The
overhead is similar to communicating between Unix / Linux workloads and IBM
i workloads, which are running on completely separate hardware.

I acknowledge the benefit of joining these environments on shared hardware.
On the other hand, I find it silly for an organization to refuse say a
third party SFTP client which runs "natively" on IBM i, and favoring one
that runs in PASE.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>