On 3/8/2016 12:13 PM, John Yeung wrote:
I'm getting a weird error when doing DSPFD on a certain file.

The log sometimes looks like this:

dspfd <filename>
Receiver value too small to hold result.
Dump output directed to spooled file <n>, job <jobspec> created
on system <system> on 03/08/16 11:34:21.
Function check. MCH1210 unmonitored by QDBEXDME at statement *N,
instruction X'01C3'.

Any time a system program (except for DMPCLPGM and friends) produces a
dump, it is a bug that needs a PTF. If you are current on PTFs, report
this to IBM.

I also recompiled the same DDS to create a file in another library,
changed the size of the new file to allow 10 million records, and then
copied all the records from the problematic file to the new file. Went
through fine. DSPFD shows half a million records in the new file.

Any ideas what is going on?

My best guess? Some sort of logical damage to the file. Try a SAVOBJ and
see if that produces errors. If that goes OK, there may be a problem
with the catalog or cross reference tables maintained by IBM i. I
really don't think this is something an RPG program could have done to
make a system program barf like this.