My solution has been to do away with both keywords. Today's machines are so strong & fast that processing the whole subfile is a trivial & speedy task.

So anyway, what I do is define a data structure with the subfile fields that can change. I also add a hidden field to the subfile record. Then, I populate the subfile record, including the data structure into the hidden field. Then, on the Enter key I can read the entire subfile, row by row, in a do loop, No need to be keeping track of next record, change indicators, etc.

That gives me three advantages.
- we can compare, field by field, for all real changes
- The User can be offered an F5=Refresh option
- in the event of an update, I have original data to compare with the retrieved record to see if there was a conflicting change made at another workstation.