Awhile back I complained about how long it took to ftp down 1-4GB image
catalog files from IBM straight to my IBM i.
It was suggested that I run CHGTCPA and change the buffer sizes.
I did and, OMG, what a difference that made!
I made the buffer size 65k. I think it was around 8k.
Instead of hours and hours the 4GB one was done in about 45-50 minutes.

I also broke them up into 7 separate downloads running at the same time in
batch.
So I'm still really not taxing the communications line.

I used to order them also on media and often the media beat the download.