At one time I believe that we set QPWDMAXLEN=8. Actually that's the
default value as shipped by IBM. I think we initially followed that value
because of some SNA concerns.
A search does turn up this:
<snip>
00D31047
Explanation: A remote subsystem has attempted to allocate a VTAM LU7.2
conversation, but the request was rejected because the request did not
contain the proper security information. The FMH5 received from the
remote subsystem did not contain the security subfield that supplies the
PASSWORD, or the PASSWORD was not 1 to 8 bytes in length.
</snip>

To the best of my knowledge we are not using any SNA anymore. I have not
configured Enterprise Extenders and we are an all 7.2 shop.
Are there any concerns with increasing QPWDMAXLEN from 8 to 10?
We do not want to go higher than that until reviewing the ramifications of
changing QPWDLVL.