How exactly do you do this? "we reach out to the firewall (Cisco ASA) and drop the door on your toes"
Is it automated using some Cisco provided Firewall web service or API? or do you send an email to your firewall admin who adds the IP block to the firewall?

Mike Cunningham

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Block SSH brute force

So what we do is monitor the Audit Journal, feed those entries to a data queue, process that queue and log the hits. When you hit the max hits for an IP address (adjustable) we reach out to the firewall (Cisco ASA) and drop the door on your toes. You are now blocked from all ports forever. We do have an 'undo' command for when good guys get blocked though.

This does require a specific PTF on IBM i because without it attempts to connect to SSH that did NOT use a valid IBM i User Profile were not logged to the audit journal. So admin and root and such never logged unless you created a user profile by that name. (WHICH I would recommend against doing frankly.)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com