Man, you really want to do this the hardest way you can find!! And the method with the most risk, it seems!!

Is there some reason that you can't use RDi, the editor that suits the kind of source better than anything else?

But if you have to go this route, seems to me your editor has a basic flaw - why in the world would it only be able to save things using binary transfer? That is severely broken, IMNSHO.

To confuse the matter, source CAN be stored in the IFS as stream files - EBCDIC, of course.

Regards and still confused!
Vern