First, I would be a little hesitant telling the world and all the IBMers listening here that you will re-install the O/S every 70 days when it requires you accept the license agreement to do so and in there tells you that you may not do that. :-) Like it says on every movie DVD ever made: Piracy is not a victimless crime.

On the flip side I laud your goal of becoming the Jedi master of these things however you will need to execute the 'spendalotofmoney' command to acquire enough hardware and software to truly get that experience.

For example customers are quickly now migrating from internal disk to SAN storage so becoming master of internal storage (cheap to acquire) will soon have (perhaps already has) significantly less value in the market.

IOPs are dead, ignore them. Modems, SCSI Cards, and nearly all tape besides LTO have gone to haunt the FrankenLab, not customer data centers.

Once upon a time I asked a very wise IBMer "How do you be an expert in all thinks like you are??" His answer was VERY good:

"I'm not! You see there are hundreds of very smart people at IBM building and testing and designing and improving all parts of the system and its software. I cannot hope in 10 lifetimes to keep up with them. So I am only an expert in some things, I keep up with those things, and I speak about those things! It is YOU that implied I am an expert in all things because I am an expert in the things I speak about."

And so we have many people on this list who are good in many things but true experts in fewer. Aaron can explain web stuff to a tree root and it will understand, Pete will give you every nuance of an IBM i upgrade, Birgitta will make SQL sing better than Pavarotti. But you won't see Aaron doing PTFs, (oops, maybe that one) or Pete doing Ruby, or Birgitta designing a SAN solution.

Pick your areas to be master of or become 'Jack of all trades, master of none.'

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com