I needed to test how a 3 party app on R&D would function in ASP 2 with virtualized SSD from Production LPAR.
1) Made all changes on HMC host and guest with DLPAR, create virtual SCSI adapters.
2) I created 5 NWS servers
3) I created 10 NWS storage spaces, 100gb each
4) Linked 2 each, storage spaces to a NWS server.
5) On guest in SST, added non-configured drives creating ASP2.
6) Using 20 RSTLIBBRM, using last night's production save, restored entire 3rd party app, forcing to ASP2.
6) Ran both daily and weekly test jobs, all completed normally.
7) R&D run times were cut in half, now mirrored Production run times.
The only surprise was that the RSTLIBBRM commands performed the same with the virtualized SSD compared to 10k spinny, 2 hours for both.
Couldn't have done it without Larry's pointers and Pete Massiello's Step-by-step guide to building virtual partitions hosted by IBM I.
Also, I'm rethink my new P8 disk strategy. Instead of buying a few SSD for R&D i5/os, etc, I'm thinking of placing those SSD on Production LPAR and virtualizing, thus saving 3 SSD, (2 lost to parity and 1 for hot spare)
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.
IBM i Systems Administrator
Pencor Services, Inc.
462 Delaware Ave
Palmerton Pa 18071