On 07-Dec-2015 10:03 -0600, darren wrote:

Someone asked me for a list of possible messages a program might
send. I compiled a list of about 250 message ID's that refer to a
vendors message file. Is there an easy way to query the message
description in a message file? I'd like to join this list of ID's to
the message file to convert the ID's into descriptions.

Depending on the meaning of /description/, the better choice might be a scalar function to obtain the data [e.g. just the first level message text] correlated to each Message Identifier (MSGID) rather than employing any JOIN; e.g. using an imagined getMsgD() scalar function created with RETURNS VARCHAR(132) and accepting arguments VARCHAR(7) for a MSGid and VARCHAR(20) for a MSGFname:

select msgid, getMsgD(msgid, 'VENDORMSGFMSGFLIBR')
from MSG_LIST /* compiled list of msgs; field name MSGID */
order by msgid

I've searched and haven't located anything like a SQL view or service
that might help.

Likely to be some examples using the Retrieve Message (QMHRTVM) API; searching that API name and "CREATE FUNCTION" is likely to find that someone has already created a User Defined Function (UDF) scalar or a User Defined Table Function (UDTF). So I searched:

[https://www.google.com/search?q="create+function"+"QMHRTVM";]
The first two hits are from MCPressOnline.com, one mentioning UDTF, the other may be a scalar function; I did not peek at either to confirm what is shown is what the abstract alluded, nor for example whether they properly implemented for CCSID.

This thread ...