I created the Query as an SQL Function and called it from an SQLRPGLE
program.

When trying this on 100,000 records, I found that though the query
statement executed online (under strsql), always ran in a couple of
seconds, when the RPG program was submitted to batch, the job sometimes ran
in a couple of seconds and sometimes took over 90 minutes to complete. The
input file was exactly the same. One job would be done in a few seconds and
the next one would take 90 minutes. And after a few tries it would again
complete in a few seconds.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I am extremely wary of putting this in production, not knowing why this is
happening, and how to control it.

Vinay